[6pack] Transmission or clutch issues (Dale Katzfey)

Douglas Morris dcmdcm at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 22 10:54:21 MDT 2015

I had that problem twice.
First time was fixed by replacing the master cylinder.
This month, the problem returned after a couple of years (say 15 Kmi).
Had to pump the clutch pedal to get pressure up for a smooth shift into R or 1st.
Both the master and slave were leaking very slightly, so air in the line was a suspect.
Replaced and bled both master and slave cylinders.
It worked fine for the mechanic, but as I started to back out … reverse grind.
Aggressive bleeding fixed it. Now, it’s a firm pedal.
Of course, I only have a couple-hundred miles on it so far (three-days-worth of my daily back-roads routine).

I installed the backup-bolt fix for the fork issue when I replaced the clutch about five years ago, so that ain’t it.

Doug Morris, NC
74 TR6