[6pack] Camshaft poll

Raymond Hatfield iron_horse819 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 07:07:39 MDT 2010

Hello 6-pack,

I'm in the process of laying out the rebuild of my 6-cyl and am trying to decide which cam I should use.  I know this is a grey area for many people and opinion is easier than fact, but I would like to tap into the experiences of the members to help me decide which one I should choose.

This is going to be for a street car, with lost of winding roads and not much highway running. Here's what I've chosen so far:  I have the late model engine - which will be balanced and blueprinted, with an aluminum flywheel; I plan on the 1.65:1 roller rocker setup; I'll be adding EFI (haven't decided on a system yet, but leaning towards MPI over TBI) & an EDIS system; 6-3-1 headers w/ free-flow exhaust system. I already have an A-Type overdrive for those times I will be cruising at higher speeds.

My early favorites are the TR5 profile, Richard Good's GP2 or TSI's S-2. If you have another cam you're really happy with, please suggest it, or give me your experiences with the above.

Thanks in advance,

Raymond L. Hatfield