[6pack] carb problems

M.C.J. NEDERKOORN marc.nederkoorn at home.nl
Tue Jun 1 09:48:59 MDT 2010

John, Dick, List,

This situation was actually described in Nelson's famous ZS articles on the Buckeyetriumphs site. In some applications the ZS's will lean out under certain conditions, due to the damper rising too fast.

The dampersprings will not be part of the problem as they just set the damper height under a certain vacuum amount in the inlet manifold. It is the damper function that decides how fast the dampers rise if a (sudden) vacuum is created, by flooring for instance.

The damper function can be strengthed in 2 ways:
1. Thicker oil wil work up to a certain amount;
2. By limiting the opening in the damper where the oil flows through, inside the the small damper tube of the carb, same effect can be obtained.

To create the 2nd situation, one can place a small washer next to the little cylinder on the damper screw of the carb, or one can make a slightly longer cylinder. The damper will be forced to rise slower, keeping the mixture richer under sudden acceleration conditions.

I know of one car in my area where this solution has been implemented with good succes. I think it is in the 4th article (tuning the zs carburettor) on the Buckeyetriumphs site.

This should work in a similar way on SU carbs as well I would think?

Good luck,

Marc
(lurker in the NL)