[6pack] Mystery part

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Sat Jul 31 20:50:24 MDT 2010

ed wrote:
> Bob:
>
> That is a retaining clip.  It is used to hold something round in
> place, which is inserted through a hole, and the clip fits in a pair
> of grooves to hold it against the sheet metal.  I might make a wild
> guess at it being a trunk lock retainer clip.

Ed, how well would it work as a spring clip if it were 1/8" thick, as
Bob says? Most spring retainer clips of the type you describe that I've
seen are nominally around 1/32" thick, and typically have the ears bent
at the bottom to hold the clip in place.

Looks a lot more like some sort of suspension alignment shim, given the
shape and the thickness.  Doesn't mean that it couldn't be some sort of
spacer to enable the use of a lock different from the original
production design because of purchasing problems during production, but,
a retaining clip it's not, simply because, at that thickness, the amount
of force required to get it to deform during installation would make it
virtually useless.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....