[6pack] FW: cluster master cylinder question - should be CLUTCH master cylinder..

George Loriot george_loriot at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 09:50:16 MDT 2010

Thanks to the list -  Bob, Dick, Bill - looks like it was a bit of 3 things:
egg-shaped holes at the pedal/pushrod joint AND a sticky piston in the M/C.
Once the M/C was out, the pushrod had about 1/4" of travel before it hit  the
piston.  There had been a little loss of fluid, inside the boot, that didn't
show up on the outside or as a loss at the M/C reservoir.  But it was enough
to gunk up the area around and under the washer that stops the piston.  And
the return spring may has lost its moxie....  So the piston never returned all
the way.  I was surprised that the cylinder bore looks good, no pits, so
probably a little honing and rebuild.  I'm tempted to be really cheap (er,
frugal) and reuse the seal but i'll get a kit.  I'm bringing the clutch pedal
and pushrod to my friendly machinist and have him recenter the pushrod, maybe
with a brass bushing that can be replaced if the egg-shapes return.And I'll
order a new return spring
Thanks to the list for the suggestions.
George