[6pack] Differential Carrier Bearing Shims

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Thu Jul 1 10:05:02 MDT 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Glenn Franco wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something in the conversation but the biggest cause of
> clunk in these TR6's is usually worn or broken mounts that need to be
> replaced. Urethane mounting parts seem to work the best.

Actually, that's not completely true. There are a bunch of places in the
rear driveline that can cause clunks, the mounts being just one. Everyone
seems to like to document the broken mounts because - well, I don't know
exactly why, but it seems to make good material for web sites and stuff
like that.

:-)

But excessive backlash in the spider (aka sun/planet) gears, improper
end-float on the pinion bearings and then there's the other stuff like
failed u-joint bearings and the ever popular sliding spline wear thing can
all contribute to the clunk experience on TR6's. And they all seem to
contribute to the ever popular "replace everything" scenario that many of
us wind up experiencing.

If you have clunks, you pretty much have to look at everything above, not
just one thing.

At least that's my experience.

> Good Luck
> Glenn
> 71,72 TR6, TR250 and Spit race car

regards,
rml

various and sundry Triumphs and Triumph bits here and there