[6pack] Quick Ratio Steering 2

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Sat Jan 23 01:34:08 MST 2010

Thanks, Vance (and others)---To keep my first post from exceeding the limit,
there's a lot I didn't include. I did everything I could without violating the
"no alteration" policy on a return product. This included backing off on the
spring loaded damper to where it hardly put a preload on the plunger. I also
drilled and tapped the plunger bolt for a grease fitting, and gave it a couple
of shots of gear oil. Neither one did much to alleviate the heavyness of the
steering. (If I exchange this unit for a replacement, I'll send the new,
untapped bolt back with the first one sent).

The unit felt heavy to turn, even when out of the workbench. To get the rack
centered before installation, and being careful to not bugger the stubby
splined pinion shaft, I wrapped it with split copper tubing, and turned it
with ViseGrips. It would seem that most of the drag is in the rack tube. I
installed it anyway, after adding the grease fitting.
It's true that after 35+ years of driving with the original rack& pinion, it
had to have loosened up. Still, there was no side-to-side play in this older
steering, and the wheels would turn immediately with any movement of the
steering wheel.

With the QR, even with jack stands under the spring pans , turning was heavy.
I hope it loosens up, or I just get used to it. If not, Lang or Gannon may get
to bid on it!

Further comments welcome.

Dick