[6pack] 6pack Digest, Vol 3, Issue 282

Tomislav Marincic tomislav.marincic at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 2 09:44:48 MDT 2009

Wayne Lee Wrote:
>     I increased my NGK's Spark Plug Gap to .035" with the Pertronix System
>  and a Lucas Sports Coil Ignition System. "

Wayne, just be aware that an unballasted Lucas Sport coil is only
marginally compatible with a Pertronix Ignitor module in our cars.

The Lucas Sports Coils I've measured all check out at 3 Ohms primary
resistance. If you install the Lucas coil correctly according to
instructions, the coil will see 13.5 volts or so during operation, assuming
a healthy ammeter and good wire connections. That means the current through
the Pertronix will be on the order of 4.5 amps, or slightly more than the 4
amp maximum for 6-cylinder cars that Pertronix recommends on their web site
and in their installation literature.

Moss and other vendors sell both the Lucas Sport coil and the Pertronix,
with no warning that they are not strictly compatible (according to
Pertronix-don't shoot the messenger). I've often wondered if this is a
source of the poor reputation Pertronix has among some members of the LBC
community?

I'm running an MSD ignition unit, which uses a separate low-current circuit
through the Pertronix trigger. The Lucas Sport coil is not suitable for the
MSD unit however, because the resistance is too HIGH. I'm running an MSD
blaster coil, which has a resistance of about 1.5 Ohms, and would fry the
Pertronix unit with 9 amps in short order if the MSD Ignition box wasn't
there to buffer the current.

The next time someone tells you his Pertronix Ignitor failed, ask him what
coil he was using and what the primary resistance was.

Cheers, To