[6pack] Fw: Re: TR-6 rear suspension rattles

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Mon Nov 30 18:28:34 MST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Sally or Dick Taylor
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 4:14 PM
To: wcwellbaum at cox.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR-6 rear suspension rattles

Bill---This sound you hear sounds suspiciously like the one I heard when the shock mount (bolts) were loose where it fastens to the frame rail. It only has to be loose by a couple of flats to produce this rattle. My cure was to retighten, and add nyloc nuts to the already longer-than-stock bolts. This was about two years ago, and so far, so good.

Another place would be anywhere a muffler or tail pipe comes close enough to find something to bang against. It's easier to check this by visiting a muffler shop (rack), where the car can rest
"evenly". The shop can then push and pull on suspected parts.

If you have a rear anti-roll bar, take a look at where it could be making contact with something when encountering a bump.

Back to the tube shock installation for a moment...Be sure the rod has not collapsed to its minimum when the wheel goes into full bump. The bump rubber must make contact with the bump stop with at least 1/2 inch to spare before the shock rod runs out of travel. Otherwise it will try to pull the shock bracket from the frame rail. Best to make this evaluation with the road spring removed, so you can see things as they would be on the road.

Dick