[6pack] FW: TR-6 rear suspension rattles

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Mon Nov 30 10:14:09 MST 2009

	Bill:

	One place that people get into trouble with shock conversions is the mount
where the old lever shock used to attach. These will not tolerate bottoming or
topping of the suspension for very long before they crack. It seems that if
the shock is acting as a suspension stop the mount will crack. If the bump
stop on the top of the trailing arm is acting as the stop then everything
works fine. So check to see that bump stop is bottoming out and not the shock
and verify that the lever arm shock mount is not cracked.
	Another possibility is something that I dealt with on my stock suspension
car. There are some thick c-shaped aluminum washers between the top of the
frame and the body for the rear parcel shelf. If the body mounting bolt gets
loose, these washers can fall out, and then the body will knock up against the
frame over any sort of rough road. You can only check the bolts by peeling up
the carpet on the rear parcel shelf. If they are loose, you have almost
certainly lost the spacer and need to replace it before tightening the bolt.
Part number 803-535 at moss. It is called an aluminum "Pad". They are very
thick washers with a slot cut in them so that they can be installed with the
bolt already in place. I suggest you look for one of these missing between the
top frame cross bridge (retains the suspension springs) and the body. You will
need a dental mirror and a flash light to see them, since they are only
visible from the edge and you will not be able to get your head close enough
to see them.

	Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom