[6pack] Looking for advice on a washed out cylinder

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Mon Nov 16 17:18:33 MST 2009

	Andy:

	Looks like heavy fuel wash. I am on the side of your mechanic; either minimal
or no ignition in this cylinder. Fuel wash would cause excessive ring and
cylinder wall wear, leading to the low compression.
	Another possibility is that your carb is over fueling this cylinder, or it is
leaking fuel into the manifold that in turn is pulled preferentially into
cylinder four because of the shape of the manifold and/or other factors.
	Make sure your carb is not leaking fuel either while running, or after
running, and that you are getting a healthy spark to that cylinder.
	I had a Toyota years ago that had a bad needle valve, allowing the bowl to
overfill and leak into the intake manifold after the car was shut off. On
startup, one cylinder got an enormous shot of fuel that washed away the oil
and eventually caused the loss of compression in that cylinder.

	Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast