[6pack] Different Toyota Brake upgrade???

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Tue Nov 10 11:43:44 MST 2009

Hi,

I have done the upgrade to the rear brakes and I can attest that they work
better with little downside. It's still pretty hard to lock the rears with
that setup and that would be the concern of this upgrade.

Note that there are essentially two possible upgrades, the Sunbeam jobbies
which I think are 13/16" bore and then there's a Morgan rear brake upgrade
that's a tad larger (7/8" or 22.5mm, I think) that I have yet to try.
Those will go on the race when I do the upgrade.

I intend to do a comparison of the stock (.725) and the upgrades (13/16"
and 7/8" sometime in 2010, just for yucks.

>From a drive perspective, the change to larger rear wheel cyls. makes the
car feel like the rear "digs in" as opposed to "nose diving" when you
tromp on the binders. You still get some nose dip, but not nearly as much
as the stock setup.

Keep in mind that I run huge tires compared to a lot of folks on the list,
the race car slicks are 10" across the face (aka 245 mm). this is nearly 3
inches wider than the stock tires.

But I'd say the 13/16" upgrade (Sunbeam Alpine) is a def. upgrade no
matter how you drive the car.

Thumbs up on this one.

Regards,
rml