[6pack] Different Toyota Brake upgrade???

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Tue Nov 10 10:34:47 MST 2009

 	Folks:

	Thought I would stir the "pot" on this topic a bit. (Har-har-har. I crack
myself up.)

	There are two reasons to upgrade the brakes on a TR6 - short stopping
distances and improved fade resistance. The 4 pot front upgrade almost
exclusively upgrades the latter. What most of us street drivers want is
shorter stopping distances - and upgrading the front brakes is marginal for
that.
	The OEM TR6 brakes easily lock the front wheels and thus are ample to extract
maximum work from the front tires during a panic stop. This is the issue -
extracting maximum work from the tires. This is because it is the TIRES that
stop the car. The brakes stop the WHEELS and after that your life and car are
in the arms of Saint Goodyear (Or Saint Yokohama, or....)
	Ahem. So here is what I have found on the web - that there is a good deal of
remaining work that can be extracted from the rear tires, even when the front
wheels have locked. This is because the rear braking is deliberately tuned to
avoid a spin. Triumph was conservative in their tuning, and the rear brakes
can be made considerably more aggressive with little risk. Or so I have read.
	To measurably improve stopping distances one needs to make the rear brakes
more aggressive. Two ways to do this on the cheap - friction material or
higher applied force on the brake shoes. A quick and easy upgrade to the rear
brakes is to fit the brake cylinders for the Sunbeam Tiger to the TR6 rear
end. They are a drop in replacement, with larger bores so that higher force is
applied to the shoes. This in turn extracts more work from the rear tires and
shortens braking distances. If you want improved street performance, the rear
brake cylinder upgrade is an easy, cheap, effective mod with no machining
required.
	Now, have I personally tried this? No - it falls into the "I read this, and
have always wanted to try it" category. Is anyone out there interested in
trying this and reporting back their impressions? It would be a great bit of
tech stuff on the cheap....

	Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom