[6pack] [TR] Help with the list please

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Fri Jun 19 08:22:14 MDT 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Rick Patton wrote:

[stuff deleted]

> cutting the number of messages way back but that wasn't that case. If
> you are using Thunderbird take a look in your Junk folder.

This isn't necessarily just a Thunderbird thing... if you use ANY
filtering, you need to check the junk folder from time to time for false
positives. Then you have to adjust your filter settings.

I do a lot of helpdesk stuff for e-mail problems. e-mail filters can be a
really big problem when set up wrong!!

But a LOT of the mail lists out there are switching to forums to fix the
overhead of maintaining e-mail lists and it's not just because of AOL. For
example, it's not unusual for my employer's domain to get "black listed",
so folks here spend a rediculous amount of time working with AOL and
Comcast and other ISPs who do some pretty weird stuff to "stop spam". None
of it is effective, mind you. Afterall, some counts indicate 90% of e-mail
is SPAM.

Go figure.

> Rick Patton
> pattonmachine.com