[6pack] sealing block instillation difficulties

PeterSchop at aol.com PeterSchop at aol.com
Sat Jan 24 18:22:06 MST 2009

With my oil pan off, I decided to replace the front sealing block with the
striped out bolt holes. The PO tried to fix the striped holes with heli-coils
and larger bolts. They held enough that someone was able to crank down on the
bolts hard enough to bend the sealing block thereby causing the pan to leak
more.

I ordered a new aluminum sealing block from TRF. It was .060" longed than
the old one so I had to grind it down to size. I tried a dry fit it to the
block. I am having difficulties installing the screws holding it on to the  engine
block. I am pushing it against the engine plate and gasket but can not  get
it to go over far enough to align the screw holes. Is there a trick to this?  I
do not want to remove the engine plate.

Also, when I do the final installation, should I use gasket sealer and
where. Maybe a little Hylomar? When I removed the old block, part of the gasket  on
the engine plate pealed off, not much. Once again, I don't want to remove the
 engine plate to replace that gasket. One more thing, I do not see what the
two  small gaskets between the sealing block and engine block do.

Thanks,

Peter Schoppelry
'69 TR6
steps!