[6pack] Problem.

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Sat Jan 17 08:02:24 MST 2009

I started this.... And like Joe...this will be my last post on the subject.
Everyone has a different opinion and strong feeling both ways, as we should.

Mike Lunsford commented that people have been using brass bushing for the
accelerator shaft conversion for years and that it's been widely publicized
on the Mail Lists. That's how I got started on the problem with those
bushings. They weren't a drop in fit (needing to be drilled out) and
suggested that Art put together a kit that would be a perfect drop in kit.
His kit does just that....no mods required.

Johnny Horton has now clarified that his design doesn't even require removal
of the shaft. If so.....that is an improvement over Art's design. That's a
good thing and it will give people a choice.

I have no problem with people making parts for their own cars and envy their
machining and welding ability. I wish people like Joe Grant and Rick Patton
lived closer to me so I could hang out at their house!

Where I have a problem is the outright "theft" of someone's design,
especially in a small community like the LBC community. We've used Rick
Patton's $30 Fan Eliminator Kit as an example mostly because it is a simple
design, easy to steal, make and sell. And someone has done just that with no
attempt at improving on it. So let me go to the other cost extreme. Richard
Good has spent lots of time and money to come up with the brackets and
adapters for his $400 Nissan differential conversion. I'm sure someone with
the talent and means could buy his kit, have the brackets and adapters
duplicated (not improved or modified, just duplicated) and sell it for less
then Richard charges. Are we really saying that's OK to do?

As for the supercharger example, if the Moss kit was an exact copy of Sal's
design with no improvements or upgrades then I'd be buying from Sal. But if
it's made up of different components, brackets, belts, carbs etc, includes
technical support...........then we now have another option for
supercharging our cars. Just like we have at least 5 different tube shock
conversion kits out there.....choice is good.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
Toyota 5 Speed & Nissan LSD