[6pack] J-Type OD - Engaged Pressure

Corbitt, Michael Michael_Corbitt at ous.edu
Wed Jan 7 15:08:41 MST 2009

I finally finished converting my '69 gearbox to a J-type OD following
Nelson's articles and huge support from fellow member, Berry Price.
Following Nelson's article, I also replaced all seals and bearings.   I
ran my first test last night.  I can't begin to express the amount of
anxiety that built up right before I flipped the switch to turn the
electric motor on.  It's almost like watching your first born come into
the world (don't tell me wife I said that) and checking all their
fingers and toes.  Well, the gearbox sounded good.  No grinding of
metal, clanking, etc.  I only ran my test for about 5 minutes.

Nelson's article indicates I should have about 20 psi of residual
pressure in direct drive and 430-460 psi with the OD engaged.  The gauge
I'm using registers from 0 - 600 psi in 10 psi increments.  The gauge
registers very little, if any, residual pressure.  With the OD engaged,
the needle bounces between 380 to 410 psi.  I could definitely tell a
change in the speed of the input shaft when I engaged the OD, so I have
to believe it is working.  Also, according to Nelson, there must be some
residual pressure; otherwise the dashpot would not work.   Is the
engaged pressure acceptable?   Is this lower than expected pressure
(380-410) and the movement of the needle indicating a problem, such as
with the pressure relief valve?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mike

Corvallis, OR