[6pack] Damper/fan discussion

michael lunsford mblunsfordsr at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 10:07:49 MST 2009

I have been running Rick Patton's fan eliminator kit (along with his TBI) for
about 3 years without any problems.  The kit was easy to install and I think I
got a little more power by eliminating the mechanical fan.  I'm using an
electric pusher fan which is a little smaller in diameter than I would like
(sorry I don't recall the diameter-same problem as Vance) and it has worked
fine.  I have a 9.8 to 1 compression ratio GP2 cam and other stuff that
probably increase the motor heat.  Since I'm in Florida where it gets ugly in
the summer heat wise I doubt that the minimal reduction in air flow due to the
placement of the fan will be an issue.  I used the thermostat provided with
the electric fan and just placed it externally at  the bottom of the radiator.
Once I got the right temperature dialed in to the rheostat it has worked
without any problems.  I have found that you can hear the fan running when you
are stopped and when you are moving
 it is usually irrelevant.   If I was going to re-do the wiring for the fan I
would probably put an off on switch into the circuit just for a little extra
insurance.  I also put the fan circuit on a relay with the electric supply
taken directly off of the output from the alternator (70 amp Mazda) to ensure
that the wires weren't overloaded.  Works for me.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6