[6pack] Engine Front Damper Question

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Tue Jan 6 17:00:53 MST 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, James Henningsen wrote:

> Team:
>
> There is a kit that allows you to remove the front hub (fan connects to it)
> that connects to the harmonic dampener if using an electric fan.  The kit
> includes a new bolt and small round "whosey watchit" to attach to the harmonic
> dampener. Is the front hub needed for additional dampening or is it ok to
> remove and install this kit?  I had heard that the extra hub was needed to
> help dampen the crank.  My engine is tweaked but I never balanced the crank.

You don't need the weight of the fan extension. In fact, that weight is
not damped, it's connected to the crank (as opposed to the actual
dampening which is done by the outer ring of the stock dampener.

The power increase the the other Bob refers to is really realized loss of
parasitic drag from the mechanical fan (which can be as much as 8 HP - BIG
GAINS FOR LITTLE OR NO $$$).

About the only possible issue with the crank extension eliminator is
something that you might see if you turn your motor to big revs (like
above 6000). I've seen the issue and can discuss off list. Interestingly,
if you turn your motor to 6k+, you should be looking at a higher
performance aftermarket dampener anyway (unless you're cheap, like me).

:-)

> Thanks in advance,
> Jim Henningsen
> Maitland, FL