[6pack] TR6 Dizzy - Part 2

Joe Laurito trglory at verizon.net
Mon Aug 31 18:43:57 MDT 2009

As a follow-up, I made sure the car was running tip-top before I started the
change-over. Car ran smooth as butter. Looked at the timing with a strobe
and found it to be set at about 9 ticks BTDC (I assume that equates to 18
degrees?) at idle which was about 750RPM and solid as a rock.

Pulled the points and condenser and installed the Pertronix. I had to cut
the wires back because they were way too long and the connectors were much
too small for the mates on the coil. In addition, both red & black wires had
female connectors and the coil wants a male on the negative side. I started
the car up and it sounds like a blown exhaust gasket. It bangs, burps,
backfires through the carbs and acts extremely rude on the whole. I did not
move the distributor, but timing is now 2 ticks (4 degrees?) ATDC. I tried
to retard the timing, but when cranked all the way clockwise, the best I can
do is about 3 ticks BTDC so I returned it to where it was at two ticks ATDC.
Idle is 500 RPM and very rough.

I increased the idle speed to 800RPM and installed a new rotor, cap,
ignition wires and nothing got any better (or worse). I changed to a
Pertronix Flamethrower coil (which is larger than the Lucas and does not fit
in the coil bracket) and nothing got any better.

Not sure what to do next....put the points back?

Joe