[6pack] TR6 Dizzy

Lfm614 at aol.com Lfm614 at aol.com
Mon Aug 31 16:38:44 MDT 2009

Makes sense, so why do only later models have it?

Lou

In a message dated 8/31/2009 2:03:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
grego at sandesco.com writes:

Quoting  lfm614 at aol.com:

> If I understand what you are describing and it is  outside the dizzy,
>  its a noise supression cap for the radio and  yes it should fine to
> leave as is.

That is a secondary benefit  of the capacitor. As Vance pointed out,
the primary reason for their  existence is to keep the points from burning
and to protect the  coil.

When the points open, they interrupt the current to the primary  winding of
the coil. This causes the electrical field, that has built up  when the
points were closed, to collapse in both the primary and secondary  windings
of the coil. The energy now has to go somewhere.

The  secondary coil pulse goes to the spark plug and causes an arc across
it's  electrodes. The primary coil pulse goes back to the points and causes
an  arc across the now open points. The capacitor (also called a  condenser)
suppresses this voltage spike, at least enough of it to keep it  from
arcing.

It also limits the induced voltage in the coil after the  field collapses,
saving stress on the coil insulation, which in turn helps  prolong the life
of the coil.

Electronic ignition systems take care  of this internally and usually don't
want to see the extra capacitance at  the output. So they don't use the
condenser. I would contact them and speak  to an application engineer.
I am surprised they don't say anything about it  in their instructions.

It would probably not be an issue to leave it in  the circuit. But the
system may work better with out  it.

-grego

6pack at autox.team.net