[6pack] TR6 Dizzy

grego at sandesco.com grego at sandesco.com
Mon Aug 31 12:59:24 MDT 2009

Quoting lfm614 at aol.com:

> If I understand what you are describing and it is outside the dizzy,
>  its a noise supression cap for the radio and yes it should fine to
> leave as is.

That is a secondary benefit of the capacitor. As Vance pointed out,
the primary reason for their existence is to keep the points from burning
and to protect the coil.

When the points open, they interrupt the current to the primary winding of
the coil. This causes the electrical field, that has built up when the
points were closed, to collapse in both the primary and secondary windings
of the coil. The energy now has to go somewhere.

The secondary coil pulse goes to the spark plug and causes an arc across
it's electrodes. The primary coil pulse goes back to the points and causes
an arc across the now open points. The capacitor (also called a condenser)
suppresses this voltage spike, at least enough of it to keep it from arcing.

It also limits the induced voltage in the coil after the field collapses,
saving stress on the coil insulation, which in turn helps prolong the life
of the coil.

Electronic ignition systems take care of this internally and usually don't
want to see the extra capacitance at the output. So they don't use the
condenser. I would contact them and speak to an application engineer.
I am surprised they don't say anything about it in their instructions.

It would probably not be an issue to leave it in the circuit. But the
system may work better with out it.

-grego