[6pack] New Engine AUTOpsy

Kendall Larsen mailkendall at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 8 13:31:19 MDT 2008

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies, I don't have time to reply individually at the moment but want to answer a few of the questions right off.

1.) There was pre-lube
2.) I can't remember how long it sat after bottom end assembly, maybe 1 month? Maybe not at all?
3.) Oil pressure was verified before starting by running the pump with a drill
4.) It's my understanding that oil doesn't flow to the top end unless the cam is spinning to 'pump' it up there with the flat spot on it's journal allowing oil to move by.
5.) The rocker arm isn't seized up at all. Even though it rusted while the engine basically didn't run for 7 months. But yeah it should be covered in oil.
6.) Yes it had oil in it, and yes the oil pressure was good while driving.
7.) There is lots of collateral damage on the other surfaces because I ran lots of metal bits through it for awhile.
8.) Even after the engine made LOUD noise on the freeway, when started later it would briefly knock on start up until oil pressure came up. Then I had to put my ear on the valve cover to hear the knock.
9.) There are some bits of sealant that squeezed out, and broke off and ended up in the pan. It's possible one of these blocked an oil gallery but running brushes through the oil galleries didn't producing anything.
10.)The bearing caps were on the right direction.
11.) It was hard to turn the crank by hand even before the valves were hooked up. I figured this was due to the new rings and bearings. My memory is a bit fuzzy on this though. Should a freshly assembled bottom end turn easily just by grabbing the crank snout?

Kendall