[6pack] Toyota 5-speed seal failure?

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Wed May 28 17:19:55 MDT 2008

Joe, and interested parties---I could go on about this topic, as I have
the 5 speed conversion. When installing the seal in question, I made
sure that it did not "stick out" of the tranny case. (There's room to
set it deeper) There's no way then, that the revolving flange could make
contact with the face of the seal..

My driveshaft is extended as far is it will go (without disassembly) and
locked to the outer limit. Same as Bill, and others have done. There's
about 5/8 inch gap between the flange and drive case. This could be
different for other model TRs.

Anytime we modify our cars, we should expect that some issues will
arise, and the answer will not be found in the Bentley manual. As a
group, tho, I think we can handle most of these!

Dick
'73 TR6
(Herman VDA is vacationing in New Zealand, the last I heard)

From: jmerone at rocketmail.com(Joe Merone)

I know that new engineered ideas evolve, things are discovered,
improvements are made, etc., but this is one reason (of a few) that
I now regret installing a Toyota 5-speed in my TR6 last
year.  Yes, regret.  If I had to do it all over again,
I'd go with the OD instead.

If you are considering the conversion you might want to re-think
it.
Joe Merone
CF18928

As Bob Danielson has already answered, it is likely that the tranny
flange moved too far forward and ate the rear seal. The locking collar
prevents the driveshaft from collapsing, but it does NOT prevent the
driveshaft from extending further than it should, which would cause the
flange to be below the minimum distance from the seal. Bob told me about
this, as I am in the process of doing this. After I read his report and
email, I found that I could pull the end of the driveshaft out of the
splines. After seeing this, it is off to the driveshaft shop for me to
have one made without sliding splines. You only want 1 slip joint in the
assembly, and you have 2. THANKS, Bob.
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL