[6pack] Distributor new, but 28 degs in timing ?

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Tue May 20 13:23:51 MDT 2008

Richard---If the engine is running at 2500 rpm, then you could be seeing
28 deg. with the timing light. Nothing wrong, here. The question
is...why is the engine running this fast? Is it throttle linkage
related? Choke out?

We know that advanced timing will speed up an engine, to a certain
point, but not to 2800 rpm.

I don't believe that your re-pinning the drive dog put it 180 out, as
this would've put the rotor pointing to #6 rather than #1 plug wire in
the cap.

Let us know what you find!

Dick

 From: nosto53 at yahoo.com(richard olson)

I am trying to put my new dist in. (Jeff at AdvancedDistributors) I tested
my 'old' dist (points and condenser) and my ign timing was 10deg. BTDC
    I took my old dist and pinch bolt out.
    Then I put the new dist at the same was the drive dog. (I
think?). Put the new in ('Ignitor' Pertronix).
    New cap and rotor, new red/black wires. Start car OK, 900rpm
BUT... 3-4 mins, the RPM gone up to 2500rpm?
    I was testing the timing gun and the ign was 28deg? But went
I used to old one - the deg was OK.
    Do I have a explanation for this?
  I am confusion.
  Is my drive dog OK - not in 180?