[6pack] Water Pump Leak

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Sat May 17 18:21:07 MDT 2008

 Bob---The water coming from the weep hole is the result of the carbon
bearing failure in the pump itself. It may spin itself a new sealing
surface over time, but with the lubrication provided by the
coolant/antifreeze this could take quite a while, if at all.

The location of the weep hole could be in any one of three positions.
You may need a mirror to find yours.

Removing the pump is straight forward, and should be no problem with all
of the other things you have tackled on this car. Have a new gasket
ready, if you end up changing the pump.

Dick

 From:
Bob D. wrote:
Now that I've wrapped up all the winter's work (5 speed conversion,
Nissan diff, steering & accelerator shaft bushings) and am finally
driving the car, I'm getting a small leak from the bottom of the water
pump but I can't really see exactly where it's coming from. Not a steady
flow, just drops at a time but evidently enough that after 125 miles of
driving, the top radiator core was barely covered. The car sat without
running for about 5 months which is the longest downtime it's had in 10
years. I've read where the weeping can happen after a long layoff and
"may" stop after some driving. I've also read through this article
(http://tinyurl.com/2dea5r) on rebuilding your pump and it looks like
more then I want to tackle. So my questions are:

- where exactly is the weep hole on the water pump?

- how much driving does it take and how long should I wait to see if it
clears up by itself?

- I have new seals and gaskets so is it a matter of just replacing the
seals?

- any tips or advice on removing and installing a water pump?
Thanks
Bob
Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U