[6pack] Clutch Master Cylinder diameters

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Sun May 11 18:55:57 MDT 2008

 Mike---You discovered why Triumph changed from the .75 to the .70, that
is pushing more fluid takes more pedal pressure to activate the clutch.
One of the tradeoffs for using the smaller bore is that there isn't much
room for play in the pedal box linkage before the clutch won't
completely disengage. This may be an area that you'll want to tighten up
before going back to the .70 MC.

There is also supposed to be different fittings for the two MC output
pipes.

Dick

From: mblunsfordsr at yahoo.com(michael lunsford)

Master Cylinder diameters
      I know this has been discussed before but when you
learn something the   hard way you feel like you should share your
misery. Soooo. I bought   a new clutch master cylinder for the 69 I
recently purchased and   am reserrecting after it sat for 17 years.
After getting the new MC I   decided to put it on my 1970 and put a
rebuilt one from my 70 on the
      69. The .75 MC and clutch combo works much better as
the old MC that   wasn't getting all of the hydraulic pressure to the
slave. However, I   discovered that the 1969 clutch MC with the .75
inch diameter piston   is much harder to depress than the .70 inch
piston I previously had in   the 1970 (VIN number after about
CC53,000). I may just yank the new   .75 MC on my 1970 and rebuild an
old .70 inch MC that I have lying   around.
      Considering the improvement (my personal preference)
of the .70 over   the harder to depress .75 inch clutch MC is there
any other reason   why we shouldn't recommend the .70 inch clutch MC
to our listers?
      Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6 Panasports and OD; 1969 TR 6
wire wheels and   OD