[6pack] previous question about oil

im sloane im_sloane at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 08:33:22 MDT 2008

Hey guys,
Someone had asked a serious question about recomendations about oil brand &
weight, which I sort of derailed with a smart-ass reply. For that I appologize
since it may have shamed everybody out of replying. (haha)

I always use Castrol 20W50, but have been trying to follow the whole
disappearing zinc issue as I've just learned I have flat tappets, but have
never seen them. I know there are dozens of opinions about oil and we could
all get way too wordy about it. I remember long ago someone saying that our
1940's 'Standard tractor' engines were designed for 20W50 and it was advised
to stay with it, but I never realized that the Castrol formula would change
over the years.

So, could someone give a brief run-down of the accepted truths about what oils
we should run?

thanks, and sorry again for derailing that thread.
Sloane :)
69-Six