[6pack] Cylinder head removal

Rick patton at suscom-maine.net
Sat Jun 28 19:55:11 MDT 2008

The quickest way to remove the valve springs is with a deep socket and a
hammer. Cut a small block of wood that will fit into the combustion chamber
that is slightly less than the depth of the chamber. Paint stir sticks work
pretty well. Place the block of wood on the bench and set the head over it
so the block is hidden inside the chamber. Choose a socket that is nearly
the diameter of the valve spring washer. Place the open side of the socket
against the washer and give it a whack. The spring will compress and the
retainers will likely fall out freeing the valve. Sometimes it takes a
second whack but you ought to able to completely disassemble the head in
less than five minutes. Faster once you get the hang of it. You will need a
compressor to reinstall the valves.

Rick Patton
rick at pattonmachine.com
http://pattonmachine.com