[6pack] [TR] Compression boost

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Tue Jun 17 13:25:38 MDT 2008

Kendall---Chapters in books have been written about this phenomena, but let's see if this can be shortened.

PREIGNITION occurs when the charge (air/fuel mix) fires without benefit of the engine's normal spark event, such as hot spots somewhere in the combustion chamber.

DETONATION is what gasoline does. We want it to, as this is what drives the engine. What we don't want is for a second detonation to take place while the piston is rising.
This other detonation occurs when excess pressure has built up at the flame front, at the top of the piston, and creates a "second" flame front. This second front is usually started at the opposite side (of the piston) from the spark plug. When the two fronts meet before the piston reaches TDC, a knock occurs. Delaying the spark timing, either thru a physical setting by the tuner, and/or thru some automatic device that senses pressure or knock, can reduce or eliminate this destructive force.

Fuel that has a higher octane is slower burning, which gives pistons more time to "reach the top" before another detonation can occur.

Cooling down the (air/fuel) charge is another way to reduce or delay detonation. This can be done by lowering the CR, or the temp. of the fuel or air.

Any help?

Dick