[6pack] 3 carbs

Wayne Lee wayne at motorcarriage.com
Mon Jun 16 12:28:03 MDT 2008

  Volumetric Efficiency does not encompass Ignition Timing, Spark Control
and
 stuff like that. Volumetric Effciency is a measure of how well your engine
 is breathing. As in if you have a 500 c.c. Cylinder, how much of that
 cylinder is being filled with a charge of Air and Gas. Gas Flowing a
 Cylinder Head will increase Volumetric Efficiency, Valve lift and overlap,
 and scavenging Exhaust Headers and free breathing Air Filters along with
 Carbs contribute to it as well. Variable Choke (Variable Depression)Carbs
 like SU's are less of a factor as far as matching size being crucial as
long
 as they're large enough.

       Compression Ratio, Ignition Timing,Spark Control and Running Temps
 all fall under the category of Thermal Efficiency.

    You can have an Engine in a High State of Tune (High Volumetricly
 Efficient) with long Valve Overlap in Cam Timing, but will give worse
 mileage in the real world when some of your Intake charge is flowing out
the
 Exhaust Valves(helps cool Exhaust Valve though) Ideally of course You'd
want
 the beat of both worlds, ( hence 4 -5 Valve Heads, Direct injection) of the
modern Engines.

   While we're having this discussion, I'm curious what others are getting
 for mpg in their 6's. I run 2 SU HS6's with BAE Needles and K&N Air Filters
 and Ansa Exhaust on my 75 TR6 with Stock C/R of 7.75:1 and Stock Cam. I
have
 a Pertronix Module and Lucas Sports Coil and getting nice Spark Plug
 readings. Also run 10 degrees BTDC with Vacuum Advance plugged, along with
 non EGR manifold and Air Pump disabled.
 I get about a 23-24 mpg average driving on country roads daily during my 40
 mile a day commute using 87 Octane. I think that could be inproved by
 bumping up the C/R a little, but then I might need to use 89 octane for
 another $.15 a gal.  I'm not ready to adapt a knock sensor and change out
my
 distributor yet. Also, I don't have an O/D tranny, but I'm not on the Hwy,.
 much, But, I do run 205/75-15 Yokohama Avid's which are a little taller
than
 what my odometer's calibrated for too.
 Cheers,
 Wayne Lee