[6pack] Ride height question

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Sun Jun 1 13:26:03 MDT 2008

 Mike L.---Lots of questions posed. Let's see if these answers are
satisfactory.

Ride height, and to a large degree the rear wheel camber, is controlled
by the length of the laden height of the road springs. In your case, the
shorter springs, even tho stiffer, were still not "tall" enough to give
the camber you desired. Sometimes the swapping around of trailing arm
brackets can bring the camber back to near stock, depending on just how
far one has to go. Apparantly the GoodParts brackets weren't meant to
make up this much of a difference, (altho they're a nice piece of work).
I would supposed you adjusted them to the max. to get the camber and
ride height the way you wanted?

The only gum'mint regulation that I'm aware of was at the front bumper.
I think their dictation was that the bumper had to be a minimum of 16
inches from the road. Triumph raised the bumper and lowered the parking
lights on later models, to accomodate.

The rear height was never much of an issue, but Triumph did put in some
t/a brackets with different geometry to help with rear "squat". These
differently notched brackets, via different pin positions, can be used
to correct the camber in many cases. To shorten this exercise, R. Good
came up with the adjustable ones.

So...Spring rates, ride heights. and wheel camber are a matter of
preference. Handling and looks, vs. ride comfort.

Dick

 From: mblunsfordsr at yahoo.com(michael lunsford)

Last weekend I helped a friend install the Goodparts adjustable trailing
arm brackets in an attempt to cure the ruptured duck look on the rear
wheels of his TR 6.  When we removed  the Goodparts
performance springs (I'm not sure what he calls them) I
compared them to the stock ones and noticed that they were at least an
inch shorter.  Even with the aluminum spacers he had
been using, the negative camber (is that the right term) with these
springs was way too much. He also complained about the harsh ride so
we reinstalled the stock springs at the same time.
The newly installed stock stock springs ride considerably better than
the "racing" springs which is logical and the ruptured duck look was
remedied.  Since then he noticed that the wheel to fender
height has eased considerably which is probably the way his
75 TR 6 looked when it was new.

This brings up two questions, one is why was the effect of the Goodparts
springs so great? and secondly, what caused the increase in height
between the early 6s and the later sixes?

I know the increased height was due to government mandates.  Was
this increased heightr accomplished by a change in the
configuration of the trailing arms?  If so could replacing
the late model trailing arms with those from an earlier ones reduce
the ride height?

Also, how did they increase the front ride height?.
Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6