Subject: [Healeys] Stainless exhaust manifold repair

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 16:47:14 -0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============2993648079707471868==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0081_01D1286A.1B69AD90"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D1286A.1B69AD90
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have a 6 branch stainless exhaust setup on my MkII 3000.

I hope that I can make myself clear......

1)      The carbs and exhaust system are on the workshop floor.....

2)      Imagine that you're looking into the engine compartment, looking at
the "Gasket, manifolds to head" (the silver gasket that goes between the
manifolds and the head).

3)      The top RHS & LHS studs are shared by the inlet and exhaust
manifolds so they are held down into the gasket by the same bolts and
washers.

4)      Therefore, both manifolds need to be the same thickness or they
don't get the same pressure metal to gasket and the shallower side will
leak.

Well, mine aren't the same thickness. The exhaust manifold has been ground
down at the tip/corner which is covered by the washer under the bolt.
(Presumably in the manufacturing process.)  First time I put the 6 branch
on, it was fine for about 1,000 miles then it started to blow under that
bolt/washer. (Cooking the temperature sender pipe, but otherwise just a
little noise. Nothing serious).

I took off the rear carb and leant the exhaust away from the engine.

I then sliced off the section off the gasket which covered that area and
replaced it with a portion off a new gasket.

I put a half washer (shim?) under the main washer on the exhaust side of
that stud. This took up the difference in width and all was well.

Now, I have it all on the floor and am looking for a better fix. Some form
of plastic metal springs to mind.....Clean up the area on the exhaust
manifold. Apply the gloop. Let it cure and file it flat.

Is there a product out there that will a) really stand the heat ie support
the manufacturer's claims and b) allow itself to be filed so thin that it
doesn't flake off???

Abro Thermometal High Temp metal....

VersaChem Exhaust Joint...

QuickSteel Thermostell Exhaust Repair Kit

JB Weld, but that's reputedly no good at very high temperatures. (Goes white
& breaks up).

My research so far has let me to the above. I remain however deeply
suspicious of miracle cures which come in little pots or tubes. What do you
think?

Of course, I could put the half washer back on..

Or, I could have someone weld a blob onto that corner and file that flat.
Would weld peel off if it was that thin? (.33mm+/-)

Thanks,

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D1286A.1B69AD90
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:91947278;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-383244818 134807569 134807577 134807579 =
134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have a 6 =
branch stainless exhaust setup on my MkII 3000.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I hope that I can make myself =
clear......<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>The carbs and exhaust system are on the workshop =
floor.....<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Imagine that you&#8217;re looking into the =
engine compartment, looking at the &#8220;Gasket, manifolds to =
head&#8221; (the silver gasket that goes between the manifolds and the =
head).<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>3)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>The top RHS &amp; LHS studs are shared by the =
inlet and exhaust manifolds so they are held down into the gasket by the =
same bolts and washers.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>4)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Therefore, both manifolds need to be the same =
thickness or they don&#8217;t get the same pressure metal to gasket and =
the shallower side will leak.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>Well, mine aren&#8217;t the same thickness. The =
exhaust manifold has been ground down at the tip/corner which is covered =
by the washer under the bolt. (Presumably in the manufacturing process.) =
&nbsp;First time I put the 6 branch on, it was fine for about 1,000 =
miles then it started to blow under that bolt/washer. (Cooking the =
temperature sender pipe, but otherwise just a little noise. Nothing =
serious).<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph>I took off the rear =
carb and leant the exhaust away from the engine.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph> I then sliced off the section off the gasket =
which covered that area and replaced it with a portion off a new =
gasket.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph>I put a half washer =
(shim?) under the main washer on the exhaust side of that stud. This =
took up the difference in width and all was well.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>Now, I have it all on the floor and am looking =
for a better fix. Some form of plastic metal springs to mind.....Clean =
up the area on the exhaust manifold. Apply the gloop. Let it cure and =
file it flat.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph>Is there a =
product out there that will a) really stand the heat ie support the =
manufacturer&#8217;s claims and b) allow itself to be filed so thin that =
it doesn&#8217;t flake off???<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>Abro Thermometal High Temp =
metal....<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph>VersaChem Exhaust =
Joint...<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph>QuickSteel =
Thermostell Exhaust Repair Kit<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>JB Weld, but that&#8217;s reputedly no good at =
very high temperatures. (Goes white &amp; breaks up).<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>My research so far has let me to the above. I =
remain however deeply suspicious of miracle cures which come in little =
pots or tubes. What do you think?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>Of course, I could put the half washer back =
on..<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph>Or, I could have someone =
weld a blob onto that corner and file that flat. Would weld peel off if =
it was that thin? (.33mm+/-)<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>Thanks,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D1286A.1B69AD90--

--===============2993648079707471868==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============2993648079707471868==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 17:49:56 +0000

------=_Part_1024123_1144307710.1448560196020
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

These are from a Triumph, I believe they are designed to deal with the situation you have described.

I have some spares if you want to clean them up and try them.

Greg Lemon

> Would weld peel off if it was that thin? (.33mm+/-)

------=_Part_1024123_1144307710.1448560196020
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=20151126_114046.jpg

------=_Part_1024123_1144307710.1448560196020
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=20151126_114110.jpg

------=_Part_1024123_1144307710.1448560196020
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

------=_Part_1024123_1144307710.1448560196020--

---

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:16:27 -0000

--===============0277781074851525264==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0006_01D12937.5AD47C30"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01D12937.5AD47C30
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Well, it all turned out alright in the end.........I think.

There is a big workshop about 100 yards from my house. They fix big heavy
duty stuff....combines, tractors etc. (They were fixing up a fascinating
thing when I went round..a massive power driven auger for drilling pilings.
Two sections, wheeled and tracked......bit like a WW2 armoured half track).
(Did you know that the Czech made half track used by the Wehrmacht in WW2
was so similar in profile to the one manufactured in the USA and used
solely, I think, by the Americans that all soldiers on both sides tended to
shoot at every half track they saw. Just in case as it were!)

Anyhow, end of digressions. When I asked "Could you put a blob of weld on
the thin section?", they suggested that they simply put the manifold on a
totally flat section of thick metal and simply hammer the thing down at the
corner so it sits flat on the gasket. BIG man with a fairly big hammer and a
good eye...2 minutes. Job done, as we say. No charge, refused to take a
penny.

Why didn't I think of that!?!

Simon

From: J & L Armour [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2015 10:48
To: Simon Lachlan
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Stainless exhaust manifold repair

Simon

Make a special washer using a length of round the dia of existing washer and
drill a hole down the centre for the stud. One side to be thick for the thin
flange and the other side thin for the thick flange.

Simple tools required, hacksaw, file, 4inch grinder and drill.

I have a machined set similar to this. Do not know where they came from

Joe

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01D12937.5AD47C30
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:91947278;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-383244818 134807569 134807577 134807579 =
134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-tab-stop:72.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-tab-stop:108.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:144.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-tab-stop:180.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-tab-stop:216.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:252.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-tab-stop:288.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Well, it all turned out alright in the =
end.........I think.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>There is a big workshop about 100 yards from my =
house. They fix big heavy duty stuff....combines, tractors etc. (They =
were fixing up a fascinating thing when I went round..a massive power =
driven auger for drilling pilings. Two sections, wheeled and =
tracked......bit like a WW2 armoured half track). (Did you know that the =
Czech made half track used by the Wehrmacht in WW2 was so similar in =
profile to the one manufactured in the USA and used solely, I think, by =
the Americans that all soldiers on both sides tended to shoot at every =
half track they saw. Just in case as it were!)<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Anyhow, end of =
digressions. When I asked &#8220;Could you put a blob of weld on the =
thin section?&#8221;, they suggested that they simply put the manifold =
on a totally flat section of thick metal and simply hammer the thing =
down at the corner so it sits flat on the gasket. BIG man with a fairly =
big hammer and a good eye...2 minutes. Job done, as we say. No charge, =
refused to take a penny.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Why didn&#8217;t I think of =
that!?!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> J &amp; L =
Armour [mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, November 27, =
2015 10:48<br><b>To:</b> Simon Lachlan<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] =
Stainless exhaust manifold repair<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.5pt;color:black'>Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><=
div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.5pt;color:black'>Make a special washer using a =
length of round the dia of existing washer and drill a hole down the =
centre for the stud. One side to be thick for the thin flange and the =
other side thin for the thick flange.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.5pt;color:black'>Simple =
tools required, hacksaw, file, 4inch grinder and =
drill.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.5pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.5pt;color:black'>I =
have a machined set similar to this. Do not know where they came =
from<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.5pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.5pt;color:black'>Joe<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.5pt;color:black'> =
<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0006_01D12937.5AD47C30--

--===============0277781074851525264==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0277781074851525264==--