vtr

TR6 tranny or o/d (or both)?

To: "6pack" <vtr@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 tranny or o/d (or both)?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:54:42 -0400
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
Hi,
as you may know, I have a TR3A with a TR4 engine w/ (non-overdrive) that I am
wanting to install an OD into.  I've never driven a Triumph period, and my
project, is in a billion peices in my garage (some else's abandoned project).
I wrote this list about a possibility that I'd heard: OF USING A TR6 OD.  Like
alot of folks, I search Ebay for stuff.  I'd heard that if I followed thru
with my o/d project that I'd need a transmission mainshaft.  I bought one for
$20 at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2488328667&rd=1
&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

And practically the same day, another one sold for over $100 at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2487943361&rd=1
&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

What's the difference in these two mainshafts?  Also, have any of you done
this conversion?

I know there are less complicated means to acheive this conversion (tranny out
of a Mazda, buying a conversion kit from Quantum Mechanics or others, but, I
don't have the several thousand $ for that!!

thanks,
Paul

///
///  vtr@autox.team.net mailing list