vtr

Re: The Herald at Hoag's Corners, Part VI

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: The Herald at Hoag's Corners, Part VI
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:29:01 -0700
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Vintage Triumph Register member list <vtr@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew Mace wrote:

> I made an interesting realization last night on my 948 Herald saloon. I've
> only owned it, oh, 27 years now, and I always sort of wondered why the
> "deck" behind the back seat was white, while the rest of the car was pale
> yellow (a color Mike Costigan notes was not normally found on the 948
> saloon -- apparently except for North America -- but I digress).

Andy,
        I know of at least two original (ie., never repainted) Monotone Pale
Yellow 948 saloons here in the UK. There's no record of the colour being
specified at the factory, but two survivors (at least) suggests
something more than a special order. Does your car have Black trim with
white piping? This is what the two UK cars have. Just to confuse things
further, I have a 948 Coupe rear tub and roof (mid 60 ribbed roof, no
identity known) which was originally two toned Monaco Blue with Alpine
Mauve. The vinyl trim on the wheelarch is also Alpine Mauve. This is an
unrecognised fatory scheme, but one which I'm sure would be quite
stunning on a completed vehicle. Dave Gleed, who is a well known
autojumble trader, and ex-Standard Triumph employee remembers this
scheme being available, but I've never found a written acknowledgement
that this scheme ever existed. If I ever rebuilt this car as original,
I'd expect to lose points at concourse!

                Regards,
                        Bill.

--
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd