vtr

Re: Herald restoration info

To: Murray Brown <brown@swanreach.com.au>
Subject: Re: Herald restoration info
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 14:49:41 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Vintage Triumph Register list <vtr@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-vtr
On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Murray Brown wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I've just purchased two fairly rundown 1959 heralds (a saloon and coupe) and
> would like to hear from anyone out there who has any tips or tricks for
> restoring/getting them back on the road.

For reference/curiosity sake, what are the commission and engine numbers of
the two cars? Also, does the Coupe have the "plain" or "ribbed" sail (side)
panels? Are there metal valence panels in the engine compartment? Does either
engine have the dual-carb setup?

> I paid Aus$100.00 for the both, so as you can imagine, they are fairly rough
> (but running)
>
> I would like to fit disc brakes and the larger 1200 engine with twin carbies.

Neither is a particularly difficult swap. The disc brake setup is
virtually bolt-in from a later Herald or Spitfire (probably easiest to
swap vertical links, etc. from the same car that supplies the brakes.
Minor changes in front brake pipe configuration and routing are
necessary, as is a minor modification of the engine bay valences, and a
larger master cylinder is often used as well (similar to what is there,
but with a taller reservoir).

The 1200 engine should go in with few or no problems, using the front
plate from the 948 engine. I'm not sure the 948 dual-carb setup is ideal
for the 1200 engine; you might wish to consider an 1147cc Spitfire engine
complete with its carbs.

> I think I will have to remove the body from the chassis because it has
been > bent in an accident at some stage throughout its life.

> Any info will be greatly appreciated
>
> regards
>
> Murray Brown
> Geelong
> Australia

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to try to help as best I
can.

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register