vtr

Re: 68 Spitfire

To: Linda Grunthaner <grunthau@pilot.njin.net>
Subject: Re: 68 Spitfire
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 14:41:59 PST

On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Linda Grunthaner wrote:

> Dear VTR,
>
> I would like to know what distance I should place my fender mirrors on my 68
> Triumph Spitfire.  Most books do not show any mirrors and the car never had
> any.  Also are fender mirrors stock.  I have heard that you could have your
> choice door, or fender.

I'm not sure I can give you an authoritative answer, but I would
recommend door as a logical choice. That's where they usually went, at
least from 1969- in the U.S. and I think that's where it (or they) will
do the most good.

> Over the summer my differential went on the same car.  By the time I drove it
> home (banging all the way) the rear sagged to the point of 1 to 2 inches.  I
> replaced the differential and I am in the process of reassembly.  Do I need a
> new spring, does it need re-arching or is that sag common with diferential
> problems?

I'm confused as to how the two might be related. In my experience, the
earlier springs don't usually sag all that much, even over many years.
That's more common with the later swing-spring, especially from 1973- on
with the wider rear track. Could there also be a bad rubber mount or
broken chassis mount?

> Final question;  I do all mechanical work on the car since 1976 and recentally
> found a mechanic here in New Jersey who is from England he only works on
> European cars.  He said the rear design of the Spit will put stress on the
> differential and to change the oil at every other engine oil change.  Is there
> any other modifications to reduce that work.

When this style diff. was first used on Heralds, there was a drain plug.
I'm not sure I agree totally with the mechanic, but a regular change
couldn't hurt. It shouldn't be too hard to drill and tap a hole for a
drain; it would use the same plug (NPT -- pipe thread, I believe) that is
used for the filler hole and for the engine and transmission drain plugs.
If interested, I could try to give you more detailed info on where the
drains were on the early cars.

> Thanks Again
>
> Linda Grunthaner
> Atlantic Highlands, NJ