Re: [Vintage-race] Power Loss

To: Roger.Sieling@telesistech.com, stadther@comcast.net,
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] Power Loss
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:54:21 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/2007 7:56:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Roger.Sieling@telesistech.com writes:

Has  anyone on the list experienced a dumb mistake like this, and can
that be  the cause of my diminishing performance lap after lap?  Over  the
winter, everything was refreshed on the car.  It had a new Lucas  coil,
which is now become a Bosch Blue.  The distributor is a  late-model Lucas
from a Formula Ford builder.

Does anyone have any  ideas what may have caused my slowly  decreasing
power?

We once had a similar situation on a Mini Cooper race car. It would start
out fine and then after a lap or two would not pull past 6000 on any real long
straight. At shorter tracks it seemed OK. We went through everything several
times, never finding anything conclusive, suspecting weak valve springs or
something like that.

That winter the engine came out for a complete freshening of course. Also I
decided it was time to redo the fuel cell.

Part of that included new hoses, etc. For some reason I blew through the
vent line hose and it seemed blocked. High pressure air dislodged a Mud  Dabber
nest. We never had another problem with that car.

Since then I check vent lines before each race and occasionally find  another
nest.

Jack Woehrle