Re: Weight

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weight
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:33:26 EDT
>Thought you guys would get a kick out of this - something that came up  on
>another group.

>A TR-8 was racing and won but was  weighed afterward and found to be
slightly
>underweight. The rules  then allowed them to top up the fluids before
>weighing, so they  added about 12 quarts of oil to it (until it was just
about
>lowing  out the dipstick hole), and presumably also completely filled the
water
>atch tank to get it up to weight.

>You do what you have to do,  I suppose......I recall one person whose name
>shall remain  undisclosed that had a serious under-weight problem and when
they
>announced that they would be doing routine weigh-ins (and looking for  any
>illegal ballasting), he half filled all of his tires with  water...........

>Bill

Back in the day, I worked for a local drag strip in the tech "shed" (mostly
as a go'fer).
One weekend we were holding a Super Stock showdown with many of the factory
drivers invited.
Among other things spec'ed was minimum weights.
A factory driver of national renown came thru and was duly weighed   and made
minimum by  a small margin.
Shortly afterwards I was sent on an errand to the concession stand for
coffee and burgers for the tech crew, and I happend to pass this car's area and

noticed 4 people removing the drive shaft.
On my way back one mechanic was reinstalling the drive shaft and the other  3
were otherwise occupied.
I mentioned it to the chief who immediatly called for the car to be
reweighed.
Opps! it had magically lost about 250 lbs.
Seems the drive shaft had been filled with lead!
He and his sponsor were a bit on the embarressed side......

Rick