High speed miss

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: High speed miss
From: "Jerry Burr" <zero260@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:21:47 -0700
Thanks to all for the ideas regarding the high speed miss in my
Legrand..........All good stuff....
The one that rang the loudest is this from Rich Ernst:

"I've had similar problems with my Formula Vee. I agree it could be the
condensor, but also, how about the battery? I replaced  battery that "I knew
was good" with a new one and the miss went away.

At speed and under load , the voltage can drop just enough to reduce the spark
below the "good enough" level. The "good enough" level is load sensitive."

So I had the battery load checked and guess what?? It read "OK' but
"Weak".....The battery would always start the car so I never gave it a
thought...But this would fit the symptoms of getting worse as the day/weekend
went on which I was thinking must be heat related...More like the battery just
getting weaker...
So a new battery is a cheap, easy fix and I will find out at the Wine Country
Classic next week if that solves the problem...
I also did shield the coils from the heat...
Stay tuned.........
Jerry Burr