Re: Newbie

To: Jack Knopinski <JKnopins@co.jefferson.co.us>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
Wow, that was really helpful, Jack.  Thanks!  Now I
know EXACTLY where to find a roll bar!

Look, I hate to burst YOUR bubble, but none of that
really answers my question.  Perhaps I should have
been a bit more clear.

In my late teens and early twenties, I spent four
years racing Formula Fords.  When the money started to
dry up, I raced Formula Vee for one (and sorta another
half) season before chucking open wheeled cars
altogether.  Then I built a track-only Porsche 944
that I ran in a lot of Porsche club events (not PCA
Club racing, just the driver's school and ime trials).

So I called myself a "newbie" because I'm new to the
LIST, not competitive driving or building and working
on race cars, and I know all too well what things
cost.  I also know there are a handful of dual-purpose
vintage racing MGBs running around, and they are doing
it legally, so coming back at me with "it can't be
done" doesn't hold a lot of water with me.  The car
will not have a soft top, only a hard top, and even if
it's tight, there are ways to make it work.  I can
change the seat mounting and do all sorts of things to
make some room if I have to.  I have a copy of all the
rules and regulations I need to follow.

As for my thoughts on "spending a bloody fortune" on
my car prep, well, you're right.  I don't have $50k to
throw at this car, and I sure don't want to spend $2k
on a roll bar.  But I do have plenty enough to invest
in it to make it a legal, reliable and balanced race
car.  Please don't perpetuate the myth that all
vintage racers are snobby, fat, old, rich &^%$holes by
explaining finances to me and telling me why I
shouldn't go racing.

As for the philosophy behind the very idea of building
a dual-purpose car vs. building a competitive car, I
just have to disagree with you.  First of all, it's
not like I'm going to be commuting to work in the
thing.  It'll be street legal for spirited occasional
blasts on the winding roads around where I live.
Perhaps you have to win to enjoy driving on the race
track, but I do not.  My FF was dated and relatively
slow and my FV was positively ANCIENT, so I am well
accustomed to running around in the middle or the back
of the pack and realizing that I'm never going to be
competing for a win.  I'm comfortable with that.
Don't take this personally, but I'm not out there to
beat YOU, Jack.  I'm out there for different reasons,a
and I watch my mirrors very carefully, so don't worry,
I'll stay out of your way.  Besides, if the car is
balanced and reliable and I do my job right, I can
almost guarantee you that there will be someone out
there slower than me.

Now that I've posted my risumi and opened my checkbook
to show I can afford to join the club, can anyone help
me find a roll bar for my vintage race MGB project?

Thanks again in advance,

Paul

Newbie:  I sure hate to burst your bubble, but if you
are worrying
about
spending a "bloody fortune" on a roll bar, you are in
for some serious
disappointments in the racing world.  First of all,
the roll bar where
race (RMVR) has to be at least 2" over the top of your
helmet, not just
your noggin.  I doubt that you could fit one legally
into a MGB unless
you are about 5'-4" tall or less.

It is very difficult to prepare a car for street and
track; there are
far too many compromises either way.  This is the
voice of experience
talking.  If you are the least bit competitive, you
will be
disappointed
on the track and if you prepare for the track, the car
will be
miserable
to drive on the street.   Some have done this
successfully, but they
run
at the back of the pack and you will not get a lot of
street time
because you are always fixing, adjusting or tweaking
the "race" car.
If
you just want to try racing to see if you like it,
that is OK, then you
may want to decide later if you want a "race" car or a
"street" car.

Just my 2 cents worth.  Jack

=====
Paul Misencik