Re: trailer leveling

To: "Vintage List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trailer leveling
From: "John P" <jpetrush@sc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 11:10:08 -0400
Thanks to all who replied, both on and off list.  I did fail to mention in
my original post that I use an equalizing hitch.and anti-sway bar.  The
van's GVWR is 7000 pounds and with my axle ratio (3.55:1) I can tow another
7350.  My best estimate is the trailer fully loaded weighs in around 6800,
so I know we're close but certainly not over loaded.  I do not load the van
itself very much, typically 2-3 people and a suitcase or two.  Nowhere near
the 2400 pound available payload capacity.  With the 5.9L engine, the whole
rig pulls and handles well.  I do not have any dreaded trailer wag; the
anti-sway bar is helpful.  I could try loading the equalizer bars more I
suppose.  I am also looking into air springs by Air-Lift to provide a few
hundred pounds of extra rear boost when towing.  Having researched air
shocks (Monroe and Gabriel), the common opinion is they are not recommended.
Many opined they wear out quickly and are somewhere between junk and
outright dangerous.  I rather doubt that, but for an extra $50-70, a full
air spring looks like it'll provide the extra ooompf needed to lift the rear
bumber that couple inches.