hershey vintage hillclimb report

To: "vintage-race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: hershey vintage hillclimb report
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:45:45 -0400
to get wet or not to get wet?  that was the question of the day as
saturday's rain was relentless!  some decided to make a few runs but i
decided no way!  actually it was far more entertaining to watch hummers,
jeeps and an army 2.5 ton awd truck pulling out stuck tow vehicles and
trailers that sank in the mud in the low ground areas in the paddock!  by
saturday's end  the mud was just impossible.  saturday night's reception in
the new hershey giant's center was very very nice as hockey practice was
going on for all to watch.   a rather "disreputable"(LOL!) group gathered
after the party for an after the party ..party in my motel room.  it's
always nice to spend quality time with old friends.   sunday's sunshine and
clear skies heralded the start of a wonderfull day of competition on the
hill.   i feel that the event was very well attended and after last year's
first running of the event after years of not being run, this year was an
improvement after last year's "learning curve".
35 years ago this event was the terminus of my father's racing career.   35
years later i returned driving the exact same car he drove at this event.
lots of things were going through my mind with reguards to this as i pulled
up for my first run of the day.   i got in 2 touring runs in and 4 runs wich
1 had a timing malfunction on through the day.   i had an anxious moment up
near the top when i dropped 2 wheels of in the dirt coming out of a turn and
i saw a tree much too close for comfort!  other than that the day was a
total sucess for me in retrospect!  susan and david!  the big red cat saloon
was fantastic to see on the hill and a huge thank you for the loaned vise
grips !   my lucas kill switch's knob broke off in my hand after a touring
run!  david loaned me their pliers wich i must return!  thank you so very
much!    i loaned out my orange saab sedan to a friend who's racer was too
new to be allowed to run at this event.  he had a blast in the car.   in
spite of the rains and the mud i feel the event was a sucess and i hope to
see it on next years calander of events!  there were many old timers in
attendance who stopped by to ask how my father was and share some great
racing stories.

chuck
"that darn orange saab"
h-mod "brand X"