HANS and F1

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, varac@yahoogroups.com
Subject: HANS and F1
From: Derek <derek@lola7.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 05:46:59 -0800 (PST)
Does anyone know why the F1 crowd is having such problems
with the HANS device? It may just be the extra media
coverage that F1 gets but I'm left with the impression that
a significant percentage (10? 20?) of drivers can expect
trouble with a standard shaped HANS - which includes you
and me - not just F1 drivers. That's assuming belts are
properly tightened etc.

Also does anyone know what the "extra belts" are that
Coulthard and others are now using?   ".... multiple straps
to tighten the HANS system OVER (my capitals) the driver's
race harness. You have the usual straps but then an extra
strap which keeps them in place. The standard system works
loose in a few laps."

Derek

.