RE: almost total brake failure

To: "'Vintage Race Newsletter (E-mail)'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: almost total brake failure
From: "Tillinger, Richard (OLN)" <Richard_Tillinger@dresser-rand.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:09:38 -0400
Here's some ideas I've come up with, open for discussion and constructive
criticism:

1) get rid of as much initial slop in the system as possible
2) raise the brake pedal to give it more travel; may not be good for "heel
and toeing", nor viable if you have to raise your leg too far to get up on
the brake pedal; in my case, the steering wheel is somewhat restrictive;
also tends to increase "reaction time"
3) limit the travel of each master cylinder individually by placing a short
1/2" dia rod inside the cylinder [scalloped as required to not block any
ports]; m/c's for drum brakes could probably be restricted more than those
for disks; there is probably way more available travel than normally
necessary, and you should be able "to gain it back" if necessary by pumping
it in an emergency (assuming the brain's in the correct gear)
4) increase each m/c one size, perhaps in conjunction with #3 (but increases
necessary pedal force)
5) weld/bolt a bar to the brake pedal with some sort of stop screws/blocks
to limit how far the bias bar can move; this must be carefully done on an
individual car basis; particularly if the wheel cylinders are vastly
different in diameter (as in my disk/drum setup), one must be careful not to
bottom out the stops in normal operation (and normal operation has to take
into account wear of drum shoes (disk cylinders being self adjusting [we
hope]), and all the thermal changes that take effect between the home garage
and full race conditions

My current thinking is that a combination of small amounts of several or all
of the above may be required.

Thanks,
Dick Tillinger