Re: Flywheel: Slot, shaved, or aluminum?

To: MGVR@yahoogroups.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel: Slot, shaved, or aluminum?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:44:15 EST
In a message dated 11/02/02 12:52:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, him10@aol.com
writes:

> I have three flywheels for racing applications:
> 1 is the factory steel and has been slotted and shaved, another factory is
> shaved only, and yet another is aluminum with steel insert. Which would you
>
> suggest is best for an engine with a 6200-6500 redline?

Any of them will work just fine at those modest ranges.

I have used both steel (or rather iron) and alloy, although I don't bother
slotting them for the minimal additional weight gain. A friend's very highly
modified slotted wheel off his TVR is getting down almost to the alloy
weight.

I have one of the TVR factory optional alloy wheels with steel face bronze
pegged to it (I think it may be in the race car I have for sale, but I don't
think I can be bothered hauling the engine out just to keep it, rare as it
is), and there really isn't much to choose between that and a really light
steel wheel for use up to 6500 rpm.

I am also running a lightened steel wheel on the Twincam, which of course
will run 1000 rpm or more above that.

Bill