Re: Cryo Treatments

To: Joseph Chimbolo <Jchimbolo@att.net>
Subject: Re: Cryo Treatments
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 21:23:34 -0800
A word of warning about cryotreatments. Most automotive cryotreaters
use what's known as a "wet" process, that is, they dip the parts in
the liquefied gas. This really shocks the material and is not a good
idea. The original aerospace process was a "dry" process where the
part is slowly brought down to the final temperature (often takes
several days) and is never actually brought into contact with the
liquid. It is held at the temp for a given period and then slowly
brought back up to room temp (again can take days) This process is the
only process to use. Unfortunately lots of folks have jumped on this
bandwagon because it does work so well (when done right) but they are
not offering the public the same sort of service that has been talked
about in the press and has developed worked so well for the aerospace
industry and others, and folks are being taken advantage of.

I do not know what process Former Glory is using, but if it is a wet
process I recommend against it. I have dealt with Don Potter
(DLPEngineering - 408-945-8818) and I know he uses a company that does
aerospace quality "dry" cyrotreating. They won't take automotive work
from customers directly as it is too problematic, but they do take
work form Don and a few other engine builders. In addition to being a
superb engine builder, Don is an excellent engineer and has an
understanding of this sort of stuff that goes much deeper than most
machinists and car guys. Don is heavy on the science and short on the
sales, promotions, and BS.