camera

To: "Frey, Henry" <thefryes@iconn.net>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: camera
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 08:46:28 -0600
We used an old Sony on an I / O roll bar mount. The mountt was totally
unsatisfactory. The camera shook pretty badly. A mount made from angle
iron is better.

Then we bought an I / O mount and a Sony with image stabilization. We
helped the I / O unit some by removing the urethane cushioning and
replacing them with steel washers.

Then we installed a lipstick camera available from Racers' Wholesale.
There is an upside and a downside.

1. Our nice new Sony video camera with image stabilization has no input
ports -- only output ports. Damn. We ended up having the old camera
rebuilt and use it.
2. Electrical noise was a serious problem and caused picture tearing. We
installed a filter that helped some. We installed a separate
rechargeable battery that helped some. The picture is now just fine.
3. The sound quality is very poor. The mic is in a little black control
box to which the camera is connected. We have it mounted on the shelf
behind the passenger seat. We are in the process of covering with
various types of foam but it is still, in my opinion, pretty crummy. We
think the problem is wind, because reproduction of sound when the car is
in the paddock is good, but sound from the track is poor. The
manufacturer has no suggestions for improvement.
4. Nevertheless, we think it's pretty neat and the decreased frontal
area has to add at least a tenth of a MPH at top speed.

--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue