Re: MSD rev limter

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MSD rev limter
From: "MalcolmCox" <malcox@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:50:11 -0700
If you think you need a rev limiter, you dont have to buy the full up MSD
ignition system, just the
MSD "Soft Touch" rev limiter @ $69.95 from Summit Racing.
It has worked perfectly with points+coil distributor ignition. ( 4 cyl MGA )
for about 4 years.

The instructions specify wound wire ( I forget the jargon) ignition wires.
Balony, works fine with
solid wire.
The only problem I had with the rev limiter was for the first few laps.
Had this maddening misfire at 6000 rpm.....Duuh

Other notes
I believe the "Chip" is not really a chip, but a high precision resistor.  I
checked the temp
coefficient, between boiling water and the freezer, immeasureable change in
resistance.
Although I can well imagine no-one cares in the least.
6000  rpm= 4560 ohms
6200=4770
7000=5660
8000=6870, those are all I have

Ha ha ha I thumb my nose at Joe Lucas!
Wishing to gild the lilly, I recently installed a Pertronix ignitor to avoid a
4 degree ignition cam
timing error.
Remarkably, the engine started as soon as I turned the ignition key, before
even cranking the
starter motor!
The power on transitient (somewhere betwen MSD and Pertronix, though neither
will admit guilt) which
takes place when the ignition key is turned on is enough to cause a spark and 9
out of 10 times, the
engine starts.....Now thats a bit ( no a lot) scary. ( of course, sometimes it
tries to start
backwards, which is even more scarey and would certainly would slow things down
a bit )

Joe Lucas strikes back
So its back to points until I can stick a 'scope on it and find out what the
heck is happening.
 hence enquiry a while back about coil polarity)

As if the MG wasnt mysterious enough
Malcolm