Re: Tow Vehicle Continued

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Continued
From: Andrew Antipas <aantipas@sopris.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 22:54:04 -0600
I always enjoy these tow vehicle discussions. I too like old pick up
trucks and if one shops around the price can be right and they sure get
the job done. However, one thing to look out for, at least on 3/4 fords
I have had from the 1970's and 1980's is the axle ratios. Most came with
4.10 gears which limits comfortable cruising top speed to about 60-65
mph.

I live in Colorado and every track I go to is at least a 3.5 hour tow. I
also go to California or Vegas to race as well. When you are covering
500 plus miles per day, it is nice to be able to cruise at the speed
limit which is 75 mph out here. Fuel economy is lousy regardless of the
speed, so that is not an issue, and if the truck trailer combo is right,
then the speed is not an issue on the dead straight, well paved, western
interstates.

My old trucks were great for short tows, but the long ones were very
tiring. The big block V8's don't like to spin very hard. The strain on
me and the truck was not good. One could change out the R&P, but I need
four wheel drive, so it ads to the cost of the truck. If I lived on the
east coast where the tows are shorter and speed limits lower, these old
trucks might be perfect. Someday, it would be fun to restore a period
tow vehicle with all the goodies, sound system, AC, etc. Unfortunately,
I struggle to find time to work on the race car. Maybe someday.

My current tow vehicle is a 1991 F250 XLT Lariat 4x4 super cab with a
460 and 5spd. Comfortable, quiet, AC, cruise, and can pull the 20'
enclosed trailer without much fuss. Gas mileage seems to hang around
9-11 mpg empty, loaded, or towing. However, going over Vail pass
(10,000'), I wish for more power. Actually, the slightly worked 390
(carb, intake, duals, MSD) in my 76 F250 4x4 seemed to have more power
than the fuel injected 460 in 1991. A lot more. The fuelie 460 is
definitely more refined and easier to deal. Maybe a Banks kit would do
the trick, but that cuts into the racing budget......

Picking the right tow vehicle for each person and need is not easy.
There are lots of variables, like me having to tow over the continental
divide. I would agree with most of the other folks who have responded
and say better to go bigger than smaller. I am intrigued with the
thought of a light weight aluminum trailer and mid-size truck..... 23
MPG sounds pretty good when going all the way to California from
Colorado.

Andy Antipas